A Few Things I've Learned

Monday, October 26, 2009

As we come to the end of another year, I've been reflecting on all the lessons I learned. It has been a year of tremendous growth! That growth came much like the struggle of the butterfly out of its cocoon and now my family and the ministry have emerged into this thing of beauty.

I wanted to share two things Holy Spirit revealed this year in regard to ministry.

The first is to realize that a move of God occurs in many different ways. I know sometimes God will move among us in such a profound way that that particular movement becomes the pinnacle and we box God into moving that way everytime. I remember reading once that many worship the form or idea of worship and lose sight of the Savior in the process. I know this much, that God is a God of variety! So what He desires from one Sunday to the next is certain to vary. And if God's people collectively worship in Spirit and Truth, then you have had a move of God! Don't box God in...period! Remember we are not looking for sensationalism but a worship experience that honors the Holy One and changes us in the process!

The second thing God revealed was in regard to counseling. There are certain behaviors that are textbook. Meaning the thought process of an abusive spouse, the mindset of the abused have been thoroughly noted in books, articles, research papers and so on. Even though some things are textbook, each situation is different and must be dealt with accordingly. There are no cookie-cutter solutions. You must take the time to truly listen and hear Holy Spirit for direction. To presuppose and dispense instruction without fully understanding the particulars for that case leads to error and disappointment. So while some of the symptoms may indeed be textbook, how you respond and give counsel should vary from person to person. It's so easy to get caught up in the fact that we've seen this before and here's how to handle it. Give each situation the prayer and wisdom of the Holy Spirit called for.

I hope you benefit from the lessons I learned this year and feel free to share your own in the comments section below.

Stay encouraged men and women of God!

Pastor Lisa

1 comments:

Deborah November 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

I just wanted to let you know that was very encouraging. I thank you for sharing it woman of God.

My Ministry is geared towards the abused and that is exactly
right...no situation is the same. I was delivered from many years of abuse , a variety, and the one thing Holy Spirit has taught me as well is...we must allow HIM to lead and direct all councel; we are but vessels he desires to use to heal.

Again, Thank You
Pastor Deborah Covington
Living For God Ministries

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP