When Good People Leave

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It happens to every pastor.

The abrupt departure of good key people from your ministry. Some people you're happy to see go (I'm just being real here) but others leave and it hurts.

A close pastor friend counseled me that people will leave...let them go. When bitter people leave definitely let them go and don't grant them an exit interview. This usually turns into a trash you and the church session which you're not called to endure. Wise words.

A young couple joined our ministry right after we started and left just after our first church anniversary. I was wounded. I felt betrayed! God hadn't told us that there stay was going to be short. We thought these would be pillars in the ministry. And at first I responded like most hurt folk...I cut her off. She left our church! And this is such a common response in the body and it's really sad because it shouldn't be this way.

After a year, she and I reestablished our relationship. We've gone out to lunch, we pray for one another, we encourage one another and even though the relationship is different it's one I'm glad to have.

One Sunday while I was ministering she walked through the door with another young lady! She told me after service that Holy Spirit spoke to her and said she had to be in Zion with the young lady. This was of the utmost importance. So they came and the word was in an in season word for the young lady who came. She has committed to come back.

Now had I still been full of myself and tripping, yesterday would have never happened. She would not have felt comfortable stepping foot in our ministry if the relationship was still strained.
We have to allow Holy Spirit to heal us when good folk leave and come to grips with the fact that people are redirected. When we first started in ministry God said you have no people. Those I put in your care are mine. Well that will keep your perspective straight. And if He redirects people, allows them to leave we have to be OK with what God allows. And know that the Father sees and knows and is not going to leave you without help to support the vision.

So when good people leave your ministry...and they will...allow Holy Spirit to heal the hurt and disappointment. As much power resides in you try to live peaceable with all men. Try and keep the relationship even though it will obviously be different. You never know if they'll come back and bring someone to your ministry for you to care for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP